WHAT IS HYALURONIC ACID?
Why do we love it? Hyaluronic acid has been said to be “a hydration miracle”, “a hero ingredient”, “dermatologist #1 recommended skin care ingredient”, “moisture shield”, and a “super magnet for moisture” as it holds 1,000 times it’s weight in water. For this reason it is a gold standard ingredient for hydration. It is important to know that 50% of our body’s hyaluronic acid can be found in the skin, mostly within the deeper layers of the dermis. Hyaluronic Acid (aka HA) binds moisture to the skin and is one of the main components for cell growth, giving us a more plump and glowing appearance.
One of the reasons HA is #1 dermatologist recommended ingredient is, it is safe to use on all skin types: sensitive skin, acne prone skin, dry skin or skin with dermatological conditions.
Tip: If your skin is too dry, it pulls any residual moisture from the deeper layers of skin to hydrate the surface. Which is why you should apply to moist skin and apply a moisturizer after. (See article on Hydration vs Moisturizer. Is there a difference?)
THE SKIN BARRIER FUNCTION
The skin barrier serves an important role in protecting us from toxins, bacteria, infection and other DNA-damaging elements. However, today a compromised barrier is more prevalent than ever before, due to the environment, overuse of harsh skin care products (exfoliant ingredients, medications, autoimmune diseases and even aggressive professional treatments).
When the barrier becomes compromised, a number of challenges arise including increased dryness and irritations, susceptibility to bacteria and even more serious issues like rosacea and acne. How do you restore the barrier to optimum health? With consistency, the right mix of ingredients, professional treatments and proper home care. (using GELSUM TOPICAL HEMP™ of course!)
High or Low Molecular Hyaluronic Acid? This can get quite complicated, discussing why the molecular size matters. So we will just say we use high molecular 2% water-soluble, organic HA. Some believe low molecular is better although so far in our research we believe in the negative aspects shown in studies. Low molecular may actually cause inflammation instead of helping to reduce inflamed skin (inflammation in the skin causes pro-aging). Which is the opposite of what we hope to achieve in our serum. Check out our study participants before and after photos. Our serum does penetrate the skins epidermal layer, otherwise how would deep wrinkles soften? A contributor would also be its water soluble = absorbability. Judge for yourself!
10 WAYS HYALURONIC ACID BENEFITS YOUR SKIN
- Sensitive skin friendly
- Powerful skin hydrator, resulting in preventing deeper wrinkles and assisting in the healing process
- Can help re-seal your skin barrier, protecting it from environment, regenerating injured skin and binding moisture to the skin. Therefore, helping your own skins ability to hold hydration and in some cases, infusing into deeper layers to heal and repair
- Increases skin penetration of other skincare actives, holding other skincare ingredients in a hyaluronic acid matrix to get them to penetrate into the skin effectively
- Can help keep skin firm and plump
- Acts as an antioxidant and free radical scavenger
- Helps skin feel smooth and resolves roughness
- Increases skin’s pliability/bounce-back
- Regenerates injured skin by promoting the proliferation and differentiation of epidermal cells
- Reduces skin inflammation therefore, reducing redness and puffy eyes (eye bags)
There is so much more we can cover on Hyaluronic Acid. Look for more articles in our upcoming blogs. For now try our serum. Use one-time only discount code: gelsum