Acne develops when pores in the skin become clogged with dead skin cells, bacteria, or both. This clogging also occurs when the body produces too much sebum, an oil that keeps the skin from drying out. When the lipid barrier is enhanced and protected by hyaluronic acid, the skin is better able to defend itself against aging and pollutants.
Below lists some of the most common experiences one may have in treating acne.
• Skin Purging is there such a thing? This is a common reaction to an active ingredient that is increasing cell turnover. CBD helps reduce sebum, heals skin conditions and has anti-bacterial properties. In order to reveal healthier skin cells, some experience purging of the dirt that is sitting under the skin surface. Most people will feel like they need to stop using that product if they experience more breakouts. For some people your skin may get worse before it gets better. Endure the process and keep on going! That is one of the reasons why I am writing this article. If you have patience with the process you will most likely find success in treating acne. It may take a month or longer to see results but it is worth it especially if you have had acne for many years.
• How to detect a skin purge or a normal break out? PURGING – heals much faster than a normal pimple/breakout and show up where you normally breakout.
BREAKOUTS- lasts 8-10 days and located in an area on the skin where you DO NOT normally break out.
• Sebum– aka oil can be good bacteria and bad. Sebum Plug – Dead skin cells that block sebum from reaching the surface. ie. blackheads, whiteheads or keratin plugs. Read our blog about CBD and Sebum
• Skin Barrier – Skin barrier is like a shield for your skin. Keeps irritants out, while locking in the “good” sebum/natural oil and moisture. Protecting the skin barrier is life changing for acne.
• Over-drying medication to treat acne, is this the only way? Avoid over-drying on entire face by simply treating the t-zone or the area you normally have acne breakouts. We use skin tools like a facial steamer and skin scraper regularly. A steamer will open pores and soften skin. Allowing the skin scraper aka ultrasonic skin spatula helps to loosen dirt built up in your pores. The vibrations release buildup of metabolic waste, improving cell conditions.
• Over drying skincare – Most people with acne are always searching for a moisturizer that doesn’t clog pores. This is where HA comes in. As a humectant it draws moisture in and holds it to keep skin moist, especially when applied to damp skin and using a plant-based, water-soluble formula like Gelsum Topical Hemp™.
• Preservatives play a role in treating acne as well. Preservatives can dry and break down skin barrier by killing the good bacteria that protects the skin. So be careful which SPF lotion you use when you have acne.
10 Best Tips for Treating Acne:
Avoid over exfoliating. Scrubbing your face with grainy cleansers and exfoliants can spread bacteria from current acne breakouts, strip the skin of natural oils and irritate skin. It also results in moisture loss therefore, this is why you see irritation, inflammation and even infections within the skin. Try using a chemical exfoliant instead like salicylic acid and retinoids, which loosen the bonds between dead skin cells so they can be more easily dislodged. Hydrated and moist skin barrier leads to smoother, plumper skin cells and a glowing complexion.
Elevate your home skincare routine by using inexpensive skincare tools. Facial steamer and skin scraper. (Helps to avoid over scrubbing with exfoliants and possibly reduces need for expensive and drying acne medications).
Change pillow case 1 to 2 times a week to avoid bacteria cross-contamination.
Change face towel 2-3x a week, again to avoid bacteria-cross contamination.
Drink Water. It may help you avoid drinks that are not good for your health as well as flush out toxins from your body.
Limit dairy as it can contain hormones and antibiotics which can make acne breakouts worse.
Choose make up labeled oil free or non-comedongenic.
Don’t PICK! Use acne dots like RAEL. An AMAZING invention. Rael acne pimple healing patches are inexpensive, invisible, made with hydrocolloid, reduces the amount of time you have the pimple and decreases chances of spreading. They will help to keep your hands off the blemish spots therefore, reduces scarring!
Moisturizing: Apply non-toxic, hydrating, nutrient packed serum like ours Gelsum Topical Hemp™ as it is a must to keep skin hydrated when most people are fearful of using moisturizers.
(If you still need additional moisturizer apply it after serum to lock in nutrients. Look for a light weight, water-soluble moisturizer. We have also seen CeraVe night moisture lotion)
Practice Patience. It is also an unrealistic expectation for a new skincare product to work in 1-3 days. Also, you will never completely get rid of acne if you are eating poorly. Consider your daily habits and how they may be affecting your skin health.
Watch for next article – Importance of penetrating skin care actives to reach deeper layers of the skin and Accelerate skin/body healing and anti-aging with Red Light & Infrared Therapy.
Personal note: As founder of Gelsum Topical Hemp™ you can see I put a great deal of emphasis on skin care tools and use of this serum. I completely purged my skin. It took one skin cycle of 28 days for me following all the tips above to no longer experience hormonal acne around my chin. I continue using my skin care tools at home, get regular facials with Denise Pasquino and use Gelsum Topical Hemp™ night and day. I have also found I use less products in my skincare routine than I used to. We have five teens in our household. I cannot tell you how many times they said certain products (including prescriptions by dermatologist) break them out worse or dried out their skin. It is important to note we have had many study participants report they experienced healing and prevention of acne while using Gelsum Topical Hemp™ Serum. So I created this blog to help explain the difference of skin purging and your normal breakouts as well as creating the best skincare routine to assist with acne.
~ Wish you glowing skin in the days ahead!